publishing branches with dns-sd/muliticast dns

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:37:03 GMT 2005

Hi.

I've been playing around with the latest versionof rhytmbox that has
support for apple's daap-protocol where you can publish your music
over the LAN with the help of dns-sd/multicast dns.  It's really
really cool :)

What I was thinking then was that we should build support for this into bzr.

The idea is that a bunch of developers meet (at UBZ for example :) ).
Each run "bzr serve" on their own branches and then you can run "bzr
browse" and get a list of all branches published on the LAN.  You can
then run "bzr branch bzr.dev" and get Martin's bzr.dev from his
laptop.

This could be done quite easily with avahi and for example the hg
ported http server. Avahi comes with python bindings and all. In the
future maybe this can be done with a smarter server and you can allow
write access as well. But for now, readonly should work fine.

I think there has been discussions about this before but cannot find
anything on it right now.

Regards,
Erik