What we did at UBZ

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Nov 16 13:52:18 GMT 2005

Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 13:53:31 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
>> On 15 Nov 2005, Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> It's a relatively common naming convention to put a _ at the beginning
>>> of an identifier to mean "the user shouldn't use such identifier" (not
>>> for filenames, but typically in C++). Forbidding _ at the beginning of
>>> branch names sounds to me to be an acceptable limitation (you
>>> shouldn't forbid just "+storage" or "_storage", but "+*" or "_*" so
>>> that future archive format can use "_whatever").
>> I'd be happy with that.
>>
>> I think darcs allows you to have either .darcs or _darcs in the working
>> directory; do people want that too.
>
> On Unices it does not make sense. But on Windows there is some br0ken
> software that does not like files with names starting with '.' lying
> around. There even exists a modified version of subversion that uses
> '_svn' for exactly this purpose. So it might make sense to support using
> '_bzr', though it's not high priority.
>
> --
> 						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>

Well, to this day in explorer you can't create a filename that starts
with a '.'. If a program creates them, there isn't a problem, you can
open them, etc. But you can't type the name in yourself. So if you ever
accidentally rename it to something else, you can't rename it back with
explorer. (I know cygwin works fine, and I believe cmd.exe will let you
do it too)