[win32] Probably bug: tracking permissions bits on windows

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri Nov 4 01:27:56 GMT 2005

When I'm branching most of bzr development branches published in
internet I often see that some python script files have status
"properties changed" (command "bzr st" showed them with asteriks * after
name).

As I understand that's because Windows have different meaning and
tracking of permissions bits. Actually on Windows can be two variants of
this bits: 0666 for rw files, and 0444 for ro files. No execution bit at
all.

So, make the branch of linux repo on windows with files that have
execution bits set cause to loss information about execution bits. It
can be unappropriate in some cases.

I think for cross-platforming it needs to define policy how to track
permissions bits on different platforms. I think that on Windows bzr
should not compare bits-by-bits but instead use special comparing
function. This function could safely translate windows permissions bits
to internal bzr linux format and vice versa.

Alexander