bzr 0.6 commit problem: parent_id {blah} not in inventory

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Nov 2 19:32:47 GMT 2005

Andrew S. Townley wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been working with bzr a bit now in "tentative" mode to see what it
> was like.  It seemed reasonable enough, so I threw some real source code
> at it to see what would happen.
>
> I'm trying to check in some changes where I wanted to remove one file,
> move a file up a level and just generally do normal stuff.  Now, I'm
> stuck with the following error:
>
> bzr: ERROR: parent_id {filter-20051030191347-68f7b855b693fa3d} not in
> inventory
>
> Now, having googled this a bit, John asked someone if the offending
> entry was in the .bzr/inventory file, so, yes, it is; on line 96:
>
>      96 <directory file_id="filter-20051030191347-68f7b855b693fa3d" name="filter" parent_id="mb-20051030191342-5b11a0b180ce3d5c" />
>
> Now, the filter directory used to have a file FilterContext.java in it,
> which I moved using the following command:
>
> $ bzr mv filter/FilterContext.java .
> src/java/blah/mb/filter/FilterContext.java => src/java/blah/mb/FilterContext.java
>
> So far, so good.  Check the status:
> $ bzr status .
> renamed:
>   src/java/blah/mb/filter/FilterContext.java => src/java/blah/mb/FilterContext.java
> modified:
>   src/java/blah/mb/File1.java
> unknown:
>   src/java/blah/File2.java
>
> Then I went to check in the changes to File1.java using 'bzr commit -m
> 'comment' File1.java' and it went boom.  Based on typing this bug
> report, I suspect it has something to do with my use of '.' in the bzr
> mv command.

I doubt it is because of your using "." in the mv command, as that is a
perfectly valid operation.
My first guess is that bzr is having a problem with a renamed file in
the inventory, and then trying to do a partial commit for a different file.

You might also try changing directory into the root, and just running
"bzr status" so that you get a complete picture, rather than just a
partial one.