Update: Re: bzr 0.6 commit problem: parent_id {blah} not in inventory

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Nov 2 19:30:33 GMT 2005

Andrew S. Townley wrote:
> In poking around the .bzr directory (and adding a print statement to
> inventory.py), it looks like in the inventory.weave file the parent_id
> on the file I moved is still set to the original parent (also, the hash
> and size are different than what it is now because I both changed it and
> moved it (are you not supposed to do that?).

Before you get too far, the inventory.weave file is for *committed*
revisions. So naturally it should still have the old value, because that
is the history.

> My question now becomes, what happens if I hack the inventory.weave file
> to put in the correct values for the parent_id?  Will that fix it, or do
> I whack the .bzr directory and start over, losing my revision history?

The one you have to worry about is .bzr/inventory (no .weave).
That is the file for the current working inventory.
But from what it sounds like, that file is already okay.

> This was a virginal 0.6 environment, so either:
>
> a) you can't change and move without separate commits and/or
> b) you shouldn't move via relative paths

Both of these should work. What we need to figure out is what is the
actual state of your tree, and how do we get it out of that state.

> Like I said, I'm looking for the lowest impact change (which, since I've
> only used bzr in this set of source for about 2 days worth of changes,
> wouldn't be that big of a loss, but I might wait for the next version
> before I try again. :)
>
> I had been using 0.0.9 before and it seemed to give me less problems,
> but from only briefly skimming the list recently, I know there has been
> a lot of changes around the weave format, etc.  At the moment, I'm sorta
> stuck because I don't want to continue with the environment hosed.
>
> Any/all suggestions welcome.

Can you meet on IRC? That is a faster turnaround than posting to the
mailing list and waiting for a reply.
#bzr or irc.freenode.net

In the meantime, can you go to the root directory, and just type:

bzr status

To see what it says. If it is happy, commit should be happy.

I'm wondering, are you trying to do a partial commit? Running something
like:
	bzr commit -m 'something' .
It might be that it is only grabbing half of the change, and missing the
rest.