Bug triaging

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:37:18 GMT 2005

On 29/10/05, John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> > If we had a way to mark tests as 'expected to fail', we could
> > differentiate between unfixed bugs and regressions.  So we could merge
> > the tests into the mainline without causing test failures galore on
> > normal runs.
>
> I think this would be wonderful.
>
> What if we add new member functions:
> self.knownFailIf()
> self.knownFailUnless()
>
> I'm trying to think about how it should work. Since in one sense the
> test should continue, even if the one section failed.
> But it really depends on how the test is written (some would expect the
> previous section to succeed in order to test the next section).

My thought was that these should raise special exceptions, to be
caught by our unittest subclasses.  I'd also like to add one for
'skipped', for tests that e.g. can't be done on particular platforms.

So if someone wanted to run these on a different testrunner they'd
just be reported as failures, which seems nice.

--
Martin