Branches without working trees

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Oct 30 18:48:08 GMT 2005

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 11:51 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>> Robert Collins wrote:

> I think of a working tree as *having* a branch, not as being *part of* a
> branch. Because a working tree always has a branch, but branches *may*
> have working trees.

good enough I guess.

>> I think this problem very simple to solve.
>
> I would want the new control file I think, as magic path processing is
> IMO unreliable.

done. as of revno 1386 at:
http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/branches/bzr/no-working-tree/

It still has my version of push in it. Which I can take out and merge
against integration. I still would prefer to have the push location as a
file inside .bzr/, and I believe Aaron agrees with me. I also would like
to see the default push location be "parent" if none exists.

Are you interested enough in working-tree-less branches that if I
cleaned it up to remove conflicts you would pull it into integration?

>>> This is an interesting possibility. I'm not sure which way will be
>>> clearer for users. Well, perhaps I think that 'branch' should be a DWIM
>>> command, and 'pull' should be taught how to create a branch on the fly
>>> (bzr pull source new-branch), pull would always work with working trees,
>>> and push could (perhaps) never work with them.
>> Well, "branch" is a strong term, "get" is a nicer one for this type of
>> action. However, "branch" makes it obvious that the local thing is a
>> separate entity from the remote one. (ie committing in the local one
>> does not commit to the remote one).
>
> I think 'get' should be something tied into activating the cvs-like mode
> we've discussed.

Well, we obviously need some command name for it. Others have
recommended checkout, since that is the cvs command, and it would make
sense to use the same name for people who are expecting the similar
operation.