Bug triaging

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Oct 29 18:10:59 BST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 11:49 -0500, John A Meinel wrote:

> I honestly don't have any idea about "assigning" bugs to people.

A general comment on Malone here : the concept of 'assigned to X' for a
bug is that person or team X are the ones the project leads *want* to
fix the bug. If they agree, they will 'accept' the bug.

So: If there is a bug that has been tracked down to (say) the core
merge-changeset code, and you know that that is Aaron's baby, you could
assign it him. However, I think it is better for folk to just assign the
bug to themselves when they decide they have the time and energy to
tackle it, rather than assigning something that they may not have the
time or energy to tackle at this point. Obviously, when the folk
involved have dedicated time for coding on bzr (such as folk hired to
work on it), then assignment of bugs has more impact - but within the
community assignment is no more than a request that someone take on the
bug, that is doing any work is a voluntary thing, and you should bear
that in mind when considering 'assignment'.

Rob