Remote Merge

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Oct 27 22:40:27 BST 2005

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
>>> While this method certainly isn't bad, from a ui point of view, doesn't
>>> it make sense to have a merge_from and a merge_to that does all this
>>> stuff for you?
>
> It might make sense to have a single command, but calling it merge_*
> would not make sense.  In bzr, merge does not change your branch
> history, which is what you want the operation to do.  Actually, it also
> seems odd that "merge_to sftp://my@remote/branch" would make a commit to
> the local branch.
>
> The plan is to do it like this:
> bzr branch sftp://my@remote/branch local_branch
> cd local_branch
> <hack hack>
> bzr commit -m "Made some changes"
> Local branch is not up-to-date
> $bzr pull
> $bzr commit
>
> That's not decentralized, but it doesn't sound like you really want
> decentralized, at least for this branch.

Speaking of this, I just wanted to check, if you do a "bzr pull" with
uncommitted changes in you working directory, it will do a merge against
the working tree, right?

So if we want "bzr push" to support remote working directories, we would
have to do a real merge into the remote tree. Because it may not have a
clean working directory.