[BUG] Pull command on Windows: we have 2 problems

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Wed Oct 26 19:49:41 BST 2005

Actually pull command fail on Windows because of deadlock.

For destination branch acquired write lock and later (when invoking
merge_inner() for pulling actual file contents) make a try to acquire
read lock for the same branch. On Windows as result we have deadlock
situation and command fail when used msvcrt-based lock. But when user
have pywin32 installed, then in deadlock situation bzr simply hang
during call to win32file.LockFileEx().

Because I have pywin32 installed I have 2 bugs simultaneously and bzr hang.

Bug in pywin32-based implementation of win32-locking system I may fix.

But main bug with deadlock in pulling -- I can't.

If this problem does not occurs on Linux then Linux locking system
probably have latent bug, I think. Or may be it is intended behaviour
for Linux? But not for Windows as you can see.

I attach logs for pulling in both Windows variants (with pywin32 and
without them). In pull-pywin32.log you can see additional debug info
from locking/unlocking system.

Alexander