plugin to reweave history, inserting ghosts

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Wed Oct 26 09:21:33 BST 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 18:02:45 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> One goal we want to support in bazaar-ng is "skeleton" or "ghost"
> revisions (or some other ghoulish name).  This is where a revision
> knows some other revision has been merged, but it doesn't know
> anything else about it.  This is supported by tla and baz 1.x, but not
> by many other systems.  (It's hard or impossible to do in a system
> that identifies versions by hashes.)

Is it? You just have a parent hash and don't have that hash in the
store. That's a ghost revision. Not that any of mercurial, git or
monotone could create it.

But there is one more version control system that _can_ have ghost
revisions - svk. Similarly to arch it does propagate merge information
to other repositories, but does not (and can not) propagate the
changesets per se.

It _may_ be also possible in perforce, which is kind of similar to svk
(it in fact inspired svk a lot).

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>