new status output

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Wed Oct 26 07:59:29 BST 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:39:39 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 25/10/05, James Blackwell <jblack at merconline.com>
>
> > > # whished
> > > $ bzr status
> > > unknown:
> > >   bar
> > >   foo
> > > $ bzr status --unknown | xargs bzr add
> >
> > I dislike this format. Its difficult to progmatically parse without a state engine.
>
> Because of the headings?
>
> I'd prefer 'bzr ls --unknowns' to give just the filenames in the
> specified class, suitable for scripting.

You all still talk just about status/ls. But there are other commands
that produce similar output -- update, merge, commit... In these
commands you need the whole output, but you still may want to
machine read their output (not with simple scripts, but in some kind of
UI, build server, patch queue manager...). Also the headsing mean the
output can't be produced incrementally, which might or might not be
desired.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>