bzr-0.1-rc1: selftest bug (windows specific): problem with os.sep

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Oct 26 02:26:57 BST 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 24/10/05, Matthew Hannigan <mlh at zip.com.au> wrote:

>>By '\\' are you including \ ?   I think os.sep should be allowed
>>in user input.  I suspect you mean this too, just want to be clear.
>>I wouldn't expect win users to type in c:\\Some Where\\Over The Rainbow
>>(if in fact they actually type in full pathnames anywhere)
>

> I think they meant just a single \ or if you prefer r'\' in python
> syntax.  So you would be able to say "bzr log src\foo.c" or "bzr log
> src/foo.c" on Windows.
>
> Everyone seems to agree on this.  The question is what to do on output.
>

>>The upshot of the two above would result in being able
>>to copy and paste bzr output to (some other) bzr input,
>>which is a nice user-friendly feature.
>

> Well, if we accept both forms, then this will be true whatever we
> produce.  However, if we produce / then people will not be able to
> paste output into other commands because they might not accept it.  On
> the other hand copying and pasting in shells seems less common on
> Windows than Unix (but maybe not?).
>
> Would anyone else prefer the \ form - particularly regular Windows
> users?  I'm inclined to go for consistency across platforms but I
> definitely see Alexander's point about / being only partially
> supported by windows programs.

I personally find the \ to be ugly, and lament that windows chose that
route. I feel like the only real way that bzr would be appreciated under
windows is if it has a gui. I don't think most windows people like to
touch the console.

I think if someone is comfortable with the console, then they would be
comfortable enough to not worry about the slashes.

But I use it differently to Alexander.

What about this, make it a configure option, so that I can have my
forward slashes always. We could make the default backslashes to be
compatible with other windows programs.

I personally tend to run cygwin, since it is the only way to get a
decent shell, so backslashes would cause bash to do funny things to
them. (I may run bzr under cygwin python, or natively. Probably I would
prefer native if it was a decent option.)

I'm not advocating that we depend on cygwin, just that I'm already going
to be there, because cmd.exe is a really limited shell (poor grep, find,
etc)