compressed weaves, and revision.weave

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Oct 24 16:53:54 BST 2005

I'm working on a compressed weave branch at:
http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/branches/bzr/compressed-weaves/

Basically, it moves the revision-store into a weave, and then runs all
of the weaves through gzip when it writes them out.

I'm trying to work on the "upgrade" command, so that I can make sure
everything works.

Also, I have a interesting idea for the revision-sig.weave. Basically, I
want to create a "null:" entry, which then has most of the common lines
that go into a GPG signature (all of the ----BEGIN--- stuff). And then,
rather than actually try and worry about ancestry, just have everything
be a direct descendant of that base revision.
That way, if ancestors aren't present, it is no big deal. And you should
still get decent compression, since all of the common lines should be
factored out by the weave. (It still isn't quite right, since I have to
add the GPG lines)

But I thought I would let people know I was working on it. I was
actually thinking that it might make sense to switch to this at the same
time we switch to my SAX changes, since that would involve another
format version upgrade.