Bad base selection / three-way-text-merge issues

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Oct 23 15:26:51 BST 2005

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 10:23 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
>>I guess what I really want from an algorithm is:
>>
>>- - compare THIS and OTHER
>>- - where they disagree with one another, find the equivalent lines in BASE
>>- - do a three-way merge; if THIS matches BASE, OTHER wins, if OTHER
>>matches base, THIS wins, otherwise conflict.
>

> I think this is insufficient - lines proximity to other lines influences
> the semantic behaviour - but I too would like less duplicate 'good'
> content in the conflicting areas.

I've seen a lot of merges now, where only 1 line differed between 2
texts, and you ended up with 10+ lines of "conflict" even though most of
it was the same.

I would be fine if the current merge algorithm detected the conflicts in
the same way, but once it was done, it went line by line to figure out
what exact line actually was modified.

I also wonder how weave merge is going to change all of this. You can
get into hairier situations since each line may be newer/older than the
other text.