url formats/mechanisms

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Oct 23 15:24:35 BST 2005

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 09:57 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
>>There aren't any good rsync libraries (ask Martin why :-) so we have to
>>use the commandline tool, which is only really good for batched
>>download, not any kind of smart operation like partial retrieval or
>>incremental download queueing.  So I think the best way to do an
>>implementation of 'native' rsync would be to make/update a local mirror,
>>then do operations using the local mirror.
>

> As it happens, I was asking Martin this on Thursday :).
>
> The rsync protocol is unable to send incremental requests - its batch at
> a time, connection per batch. :p.
>
> I think we *might* be able to do something with ssh rsync where we
> invoke rsync for each batch, which would at least reduce three-way
> handshaking.

You could start with my rsync branch, which has an implementation of
"RsyncTransport"[1] from my older Transport API, but it is mostly
complete. It basically uses a temp directory to pull things from remote,
and then push them back up.

If you could make an SSH connection, and then re-invoke rsync
periodically inside that, I would be much happier. I don't know of any
way to make rsync do that, but I certainly don't know as much as Martin. :)

[1] http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/plugins/bzr-rsync/