Scope of operations

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 06:31:05 BST 2005

On 19/10/05, Matthew Hannigan <mlh at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:51:22AM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:

> > > What you want is "bzr status ."
>
> svn has -R/-N options for many commands, meaning non-recursive or recursive.
>
> > Which is only two extra key presses, and makes it 100% explicit to the user
> > that the command is only considering the CWD. There is no chance for
> > confusion.
>
> 100% ?  no chance?  You're ever so slightly over-selling your point.

:-)

Here is a longer explanation.

bzr versions the tree as a whole, not files or directories within it,
as cvs (and less so svn) does.  One reason for this decision is that
the main use is maintaining software packages where there are
dependencies between different files in the package, and we generally
want to get a complete snapshot at some point in time.

The general working method is to edit some files, build and test the
whole tree, and then commit.  If you commit only a subdirector you're
recording a revision that's not what existed in your working
directory, and therefore not what was tested and reviewed.  That's
sometimes useful, but we don't feel it should be the default case.

--
Martin