bazaar.conf - decisions: for Windows

Jari Aalto jari.aalto at cante.net
Sat Oct 15 09:52:54 BST 2005

John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> [~/dev/bzr/bzr.dev]
> signatures=require
>
> So where should ~ be expanded to? I think python will expand it to:
> C:/Documents and Settings/jameinel
>
> Except in windows, you have USERDIR, and you have HOME. Many times if
> you connect to a windows domain, they will set your HOME to a network
> drive, python might expand it to that if it is available. I haven't
> looked at the entire bug thread.
>
> Because windows is as messy as it is, without a clear definition of what
> "~" should be, I think we shouldn't worry about it. And just advise
> people working on windows to always supply a complete path.

For home users and those wo can access and change the values from the
Control panel in Domain this can be solved. Let' just use the UNIX
convention that home directory is where HOME points to.

- This works with the Cygwin port too

- Every user can have the ability to define environment variable HOME
  to point to the location he consider's "his home files". I agree
  that "my Documents" is horrid.

Simply, if HOME is not set, bzr should just refuse to work and notify
about misisng environment variable and force user to dig up "My
Computer" (w2k) or equivalent in W9x, XP.

Jari