bazaar.conf - decisions: for Windows

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Oct 14 03:03:36 BST 2005

David Clymer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 00:10 +0200, David Allouche wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:19 +0300, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>>
>>>And not for start holy wars about GUI library, but for Windows is
>>>reasonably to use Tkinter, because Tkinter is bundled by default in
>>>Windows Python distributive.
>>
>>Much as I dislike Tk (visually ugly, lacking good public documentation,
>>painful to extend, hard to use from the keyboard, lacking of
>>accessibility features) I think that would indeed be a rational and
>>practical choice.
>

> What about the wx toolkit (http://www.wxpython.org/)? It looks good in
> windows and unix.

wx is my preferred toolkit. It seems to work quite well cross-platform.

I haven't been able to get pyGTK to work on Windows, but I think its
just a simple dependency I was missing (I didn't try for very long).

>>I'd much prefer to use a GTK config tool, but it's most likely much more
>>troublesome on windows.
>

> wxGTK makes wx apps look like GTK ones.
>
> To be honest, I've never used wxPython or Tk in any programming project,
> but from a user's perspective, Tk sucks and wxWindows is very nice.

I think for a bzr configuration program, it would be okay to have a Tk
version, because it should be simple. But for an actual gui front-end,
we would want something more.

> -davidc

In general, though, I think the windows version of bzr is likely to be
more of an application generated from py2exe, more than just someone
using the python binaries.

And if that is the case, the toolkit doesn't really matter, it just
changes the size of the download (py2exe will bundle everything it
needs. wxPython adds 2-4MB to the download).