star or parallele merge

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Wed Oct 5 08:39:57 BST 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 13:01:44 +0200, David Allouche wrote:
> That's not quite what I have in mind. In a "missing" listing, you are
> not really interested in the what a missing revision merged, but what it
> merged that is still missing. That why I referred to the feature as
> "recursive missing".
>
> Typically, that's useful in mesh situations when you are missing a
> revision B10 from branch B, which merged branch A, but you already
> merged branch A (and possibly resolved conflicts).
>
> In that case, merging revision B10 again is likely to cause conflicts
> (because diff3 just does not cut it). So if you can see that B10 was not
> merged, but all its changes were already merged, then you can safely
> mark B10 as merged without worrying about the spurious conflicts.

That worked like this in bazaar, but in bazaar-ng, which has mutliple
revision parents, it works a bit differently. Because now a changeset
never /inludes/ other changesets, but rather has them as parents.

So in your case above rev. B10 would have parents B9 and A33 and if you
already have A33, it would only apply whatever is in B10 that is not in
A33. However since you also have B9, diff3 does not cut it, which is one
of the reasons why the weaves were introduced -- to allow implementing
linewise mergre (which was prototyped in codeville).

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>