Executable flagging patch

David Allouche david at allouche.net
Wed Oct 5 08:18:45 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 14:58 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> John A Meinel wrote:
> > We might also want to have ChangeExecuteBit be aware of what rw bits are
> > set. Because you may not want to enable X for a file which does not have
> > rw for other.
>
> Yeah.  I've never really been clear *which* execute bit we were talking
> about.  Strictly speaking, we're talking about whether the file is
> executible, and the use of x on directories is irrelevent.
>
> I'd be happy either only changing the owner x bit, or obeying the umask.

I think, for reading, only the user x bit should be considered, and when
creating files or changing permissions, all x bits allowed by umask
should be set/cleared umask. When a file is merely updated or merged,
the x bits of group and other should be preserved.

That's definitely ugly, but I think anything else will either turn
annoying or surprising one way or another.

That may cause some inconsistency, but that cannot be avoided unless all
three bits are controlled individually or unless commands like "commit"
are allowed to "sanitise" the x bits.
--
                                                            -- ddaa