[BUG] bogus name_version in bzr.newformat

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 4 15:23:45 BST 2005

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 15:56 -0500, John A Meinel wrote:
>
>>After upgrading the bzr.newformat tree into the new format, I was
>>playing around with it, and I noticed that it seems to be updating the
>>"name_version" field even if the name did not change.
>>
>>I realize, we may be getting rid of this field, and changing it to
>>"revision" for just the last changed version.
>>
>>The specific file I noticed was "adoption.txt". As near as I can tell,
>>the actual name doesn't change, and neither does the parent (perhaps the
>>parent of the parent changes???) The text_sha1 doesn't ever change, and
>>the text_version seems to agree.
>>
>>So why would the name_version be changing?
>

> It should change if the parent or the name changes. Anyway, that field
> is nukified in my format-5 tree - could you see if it happens there ?
>
> Rob

Well, it still seems to happen.
The simple way of detecting, it to just do:

grep revfile.txt .bzr/inventory.weave | vim - -c "set nowrap"

And notice that you see "revision=" change, without text_sha1 or any
other changes.

I'm using my SQL conversion to collapse them, and these are the ones
most often changed:

52|__init__.py
43|history2revfiles.py
43|revfile.txt
43|bzr-mode.el
43|split-join-files.txt
42|weavebench.py
41|HACKING
41|testdiff.py
39|ui.py
39|progress.py

Actually, the most common are the directories:
63|plugins
62|effbot
62|urlgrabber
62|elementtree
60|tools
60|org
60|selftest
60|patches
60|zsh
60|bash

Now, maybe they were moved around here and there, but 60x seems too much.