[Request] Remote operation need to be cached

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Tue Oct 4 08:39:44 BST 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 03:25:26 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> > Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> > >I'm trying to use bzr pull because rsyncing for this BIG repository is
> > >very long operation.
>
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 09:15:54AM -0500, John A Meinel wrote:
> > rsyncing is going to be *way* faster than bzr pull. Usually 5-10x. Like
> > rsyncing the bzr.dev tree takes < 3 min, but bzr pull it takes about
> > 17min for me.
> >
> > There is some discussion about CentralizedStorage which would be sort of
> > a local cache.
>
> The last time I heard this issue seriously discussed, centralized storage
> was practically a given. Other than Doing It, the thing standing in the
> way is defining clearly how to prune out less valuable data from the
> cache.

AIUI centrailized storage is not a cache nor anything that even
remotedly resembles one. It also can't prune less valuable data, because
it can't know which data that would be.

Actually, it could know, using some smart tricks with hardlinks, but it
would only work if all working copies using that centrailized storage
are on the same partition and that partition supports hardlinks.

> > I'm not sure how it would work with the new weaves, though.
>
> Excellent question.

Why it shouldn't? It should work just as the in-tree storage in .bzr,
except it would allow multiple heads (revisions with no descendants).

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>