[BUG] bogus name_version in bzr.newformat

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Oct 4 04:46:59 BST 2005

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>
>>>But this shouldn't:
>>>
>>>$wd/           $wd/
>>>  dir1/          dir3/
>>>    a.txt   =>     a.txt
>>>  dir2/          dir2/
>>>    b.txt          b.txt
>>>
>>>Or should it? The full path does change, I'm just skeptical that it is
>>>important.
>

> In your example, a.txt was moved from one directory (dir1) to another
> directory(dir3), which I would consider significant.
>
> In this example, it should not change:
>
> $wd/           $wd/
>   dir1/     =>   dir3/
>     a.txt          a.txt
>   dir2/          dir2/
>     b.txt          b.txt

That is what I meant to indicate, the arrow was just a before versus
after, not the specific one that changed.

>>>The big reason that I bring it up, is because the file "adoption.txt"
>>>has name_version change about 60 times with no change to the text_sha1
>>>hash. And __init__.py has it change almost 120 times with one hash, and
>>>then another 72 times with a different hash.
>

> The name version represents inventory changes.  It has nothing to do
> with the sha1.

I think more along the lines of Robert that the "version" of an
inventory entry should only change if that file changes (either because
parent changes, or the text changes, etc), but it shouldn't change just
because the world around it changes.