Pymacs : A better way to implement bzr and hg support in Xtla ?

Lalo Martins lalo at exoweb.net
Tue Oct 4 04:29:57 BST 2005

And so says Matthieu Moy on 04/10/05 05:44...
> I've just discovered Pymacs (thank you Lalo). It's a way to make
> python and Emacs communicate together.

You're welcome.  I already pointed you to pymacs a few weeks ago, on the
list - perhaps you missed that one.

I find pymacs insanely useful; now I have the full python standard
library at my fingertips :-)

It is used by the emacs integration of Bicyclerepairman, which is
another tool I think all Python programmers should have.

> The drawback is, it adds one dependancy to DVC: pymacs. Pymacs made of
> some .el files, and needs a python interpreter (off course), but bzr
> needs one anyway. This is a problem for people installing DVC
> manually, and for a future integration of DVC in GNU Emacs, unless
> pymacs is planned to be integrated in mainline.
>
> Perhaps some code could be factored between mercurial and bzr support,
> so we'd have:
>
> +-------------+                      +--------+
> | bzr support |                      | pymacs |
> +-------------+`-,+------------+  ,-'+--------+
>                   | DVC-python |-<
> | hg support  |                      | DVC core |

If a possible integration into emacs is a concern for you, then this
plan makes sense to me; "DVC comes built-in and supports baz and mt, but
if you also install pymacs, you get bzr and hg support"

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
http://www.exoweb.net/                  mailto:lalo at exoweb.net