New format branch broke compatibility

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Sep 30 18:25:08 BST 2005

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>>>The last bzr.newformat branch breaks compatibility with previous
>>>repositories using the new format storage, due to that line
>>>on branch.py:
>>>
>>> self.revision_store = get_store('revision-store', compressed=True)
>>
>>I don't see that line. I see the line:
>>self.revision_store = get_store('revision-store', compressed=False)
>

> Yes, sorry. That's why it breaks. If it was True it wouldn't break.
>

>>For version 4 branches, it should get the compressed version of the
>>store, but for version 5, they are uncompressed.
>

> They were compressed before the pull I did today.
>
> revno: 1354
> committer: Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net>
> timestamp: Thu 2005-09-22 15:21:08 +1000
> message:
>   - don't store revision xml compressed

Well, the stuff that broke reading compressed trees was my merge at
revision 1405, so you had 50 revisions of compatibility :) (Which
admittedly is only 1 week).
But it was after his announcement of the new branch format.

When I split up the storage and transport stuff, I felt that looking for
both compressed and uncompressed was unnecessary, and would hurt round
trips to a remote store. At that time, everything was compressed. Then
Martin switched it to everything uncompressed, so I followed suit.

Mark it up as instability from fast development I guess.