Nomenclature

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Sep 30 17:32:45 BST 2005

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Hello John,

> Same case.. either branch.get_revision_history() and
> branch.get_revision(), or branch.revision_history() and
> branch.revision().

Actually, there is a very significant difference here.
branch.revision_history() is give me the revision history of this
branch. (A property of this branch).
branch.revision() would say to me tell me what the revision of this
branch is. But really branch.get_revision() is giving you some
information about a particular revision.

The issue is that some functions are attributes of branch, and some are
coming from the data that branch stores.

That might be the best breakpoint for what gets a get_ accessor, and
what doesn't.

>>>* branch.get_rev_id() vs. branch.revision_id_to_revno() vs. *.id2*()
>>
>>get_rev_id translates the above revno into a revision_id.
>>revision_id_to_revno is the opposite translation.
>

> Same case. If they are exactly the opposite of each other, why one
> is named get_rev_id() and the other revision_id_to_revno()? :-)

I'm guessing because one is used far more than the other. :)

> And I think you got the idea...

Sure, just the details need to be worked out.