bzr merge fails if deleted contents differ

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Sep 29 18:17:44 BST 2005

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>
>>>I realize this is probably just a place where Aaron didn't know what the
>>>correct method was, but I'm trying to merge my Transport code into the
>>>bzr.newformat codebase. And when I did so, it did maybe 90% of the work,
>>>and then raised an exception because I had deleted the "remotebranch.py"
>>>file, which had been changed in bzr.newformat.
>

> Okay, I've fixed the bug (that it was raising the wrong exception) and
> added exception handling for the case where the file differs in THIS and
> BASE, but doesn't exist in OTHER.
>
> My apologies, I thought you were talking about the 'differs in BASE and
> OTHER but does not exist in BASE case'.

Can you "differ in BASE and OTHER" but not exist in BASE? I think you
mean "differ in BASE and OTHER but does not exist in THIS". Which was
the earlier discussion (because even the directory may not exist).

I'm running into the other problem now, though. Where a file differs
between BASE and OTHER, but has been deleted in THIS. Can we just create
file.BASE and file.OTHER if the directory exists? Obviously if the
directory is different we would have to do something like creating a
conflict directory. (Since we don't want to recreate the deleted dir).
Unless you wanted to create a directory.BASE and directory.OTHER, maybe
just have directory.MISSING.

This is happening in similar trees, basically with my
newformat-transport branch, I manually added a file (and made sure its
file-id came across) because the merge had failed. Then bzr.newformat
merged with integration, which also brought in that file, but a slightly
newer version.

$ bzr merge /srv/bzr/public/mirrors/bzr.newformat/
bzr: ERROR: The file bzrlib/remotebranch.py was modified, but does not
exist in this tree
  at /home/jameinel/dev/bzr/bzr.dev/bzrlib/changeset.py line 1060, in
missing_for_merge()
  see ~/.bzr.log for debug information

It would be nice to have a "merge --continue-on-errors" flag. Because
some of the conflicts are stuff that I would delete anyway, and I just
want to get all the other changes merged.