bzr merge fails if deleted contents differ

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Sep 28 21:55:45 BST 2005

Aaron Bentley wrote:

> John A Meinel wrote:
>
>>>I don't really know what the best solution is. Perhaps just rename
>>>"file.txt" to "file.txt.THIS". But still leave it as deleted.
>

> See the previous thread "attn: abentley Re: [BUG] Merging repositories
> with a directory deleted" for a full discussion of the pitfalls of this
> conflict type.
>

>>>My biggest problem is that I don't know what it did and didn't merge.
>>>I'm slowly finding different things that it missed. Mostly it didn't add
>>>newly added files, and so I have to copy them, and their inventory
>>>entries manually.
>

> Since content changes are done as the first operation, it would also
> have missed all renames and deletes.
>
> Aaron

I remember the earlier discussion. But I don't remember having a
conclusion to it.

My personal favorite is probably to create some sort of conflict folder,
where you can put those files, without having to add them to the local
directory.

For deleted stuff, though, I don't really have a problem just deleting
it. To paraphrase Robert, "Don't comment out, just delete, we do have a
version control system."

You might realize later "Oops! I need something from there", but that is
why "bzr revert" takes a revision argument. (and bzr log takes a
--message so that you can find the revision you need.)