please check out weave-format branch

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Sep 28 07:44:04 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 11:59 -0500, John A Meinel wrote:
> > If we want to support references to revisions whose value is not known
> > (which some people call "ghost" revisions) then this gets even more
> > difficult.  Of course we don't know the sha of the ghost revision, and
> > if we did find it out we'd have to redo everything from that point
> > forward.
>
> I don't really agree with this. Because at some point, the "ghost"
> revision was not a ghost. So at that point you did have the sha. And
> when you tell someone else about it, you just need to tell them both
> bits of information. So if the ghost comes in by a changeset, or just a
> missing revision, you still should be able to have the sha hash as a
> last known value.

Ah, but it can be that the other revision *does not* exist at the time
you know that it *may exist*. Consider imports from arch where history
is not available on sibling branches. The only revisions that are
guaranteed available for imports are those on the mainline of the branch
we are importing - the revision history. But we can infer what revision
was the 'pending merge', and record useful data, if bzr lets us.

Rob