[BUG] when doing a bzr pull with conflicts

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Mon Sep 19 11:21:56 BST 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 12:18:37PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 01:43 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 06:43:39PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > >
> > > This is true. One thing that I think we should introduce here is the
> > > bound branches and shared branches workflow - thats what gives a 1:1
> > > cvs-like experience - it keeps you on the same branch as someone else
> > > and won't let you commit until you are up to date... so we may have an
> > > update or some such command for these branches.
> >
> > With all due respect, I think cvs's interface for anything over the most
> > trivial of tasks is a pile of shit. Thus, in my humble opinion, anything
> > that meets any with level of success of emulating CVS's interface can
> > congratulate itself on creating yet more shit.
>
> CVS is still the most successful VCS system in existence. Migrating
> projects from one VCS to another is a non trivial task. Anything that we
> do that makes it easier for users from $other system to migrate over to
> Bazaar-NG, and doesn't diminish Bazaar-NG, is a good thing.

Fair enough. I suppose there's an argument for third party tools and
muscle memory.

I'd just hate to see a command-by-command reproduction of their interface
mistakes to serve that goal. I'd rather grandfathers tell their grandkids
about the old days in which they trudged through five miles of deep snow
in order to type convoluted things like -r xx..yy -r xx..dd -d xx:xx
instead of*:

"bzr merge abentley last 10"
   or
"baz diff 10-Nov 30-Oct"

* Ironically, cvs has a reduced form of this concept.

--
 James Blackwell      |   Try out the blog planet for revision control
 Tell someone a joke! |   at http://planet.revisioncontrol.net