gui suggestion

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Fri Sep 16 14:22:54 BST 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 14:08:46 +0200, Matthieu MOY wrote:
> Robert Collins said:
> > Hi Heitzso, I completely agree: tortoise is very nice. Do you know
> > anyone that is interested in working on this? I'd be very happy to help
> > them with api etc improvements to make this happen.
>
> Anyone knows whether a similar tool exists or is planned for KDE or GNOME
> file manager ? I'm not a potential user (my file manager is tcsh), but I
> think many people would appreciate it.

For KDE they exist for CVS and Subversion. They're not exactly the same
and are not on by default (you must tell Konqueror to turn on
Cervisia/Kdesvn for that directory)

Anyway, I am thinking about a bit broader thing for a while now. The
user interfaces of many version control systems are very similar -- all
have commit, some form of checkout, status, diff, most have merge. Thus
it should be possible to factor out quite a bit of glue between those
user interfaces and the version control systems.

I believe it's not so speed-critical, that it could well be in python.
Actually it _should_ be in python, so it's developed reasonably fast and
reasonably refactorable.  Maybe even in windows -- it's said that in Win
XP, there is quite a bit of python code, though it's compiled to binary
throught some translator.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>