[BUG] when doing a bzr pull with conflicts

Rob Browning rlb at defaultvalue.org
Wed Sep 14 22:39:10 BST 2005

Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> writes:

> That said, when you have divergent branches, you probably want to be
> doing a 'merge' rather than a 'pull'. Pull is equivalent to CVS
> update or SVN update, which only makes sense when you are still on
> the same branch - i.e. you have not committed, which creates a
> unique branch.

If I understood you correctly, then it seems like this might confuse
some cvs and svn users since in cvs/svn, update actually does do
something like a merge with the "current branch", and you would
normally run update whether you've committed or not.

By the way, what happens if merge isn't given a BRANCH argument?  The
"bzr help merge" that I have here doesn't appear to say explicitly,
but if it defaults to the branch of the most recent merge or pull,
then to a cvs/svn user, a bzr merge might seem more like a cvs/svn
update than a bzr pull would.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu