FEATURE REQ: Make alias for --diff-options

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Sep 14 01:10:32 BST 2005

Jari Aalto wrote:
> Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> | Jari Aalto wrote:
> |
> | > Would it be possible to provide shorted form for command line
> | > use, something like:
> | >
> | >    $ bzr diff -o -bwu -C 5
> | >               |
> | >               extra options to diff follow
> |
> | Another option would be to let you configure your diff options somewhere
> | else, like an environment variable or global configuration.
> |
> | BTW, don't the u and C 5 options conflict?  I get "conflicting output
> | style options"
>
> In fact my example was wrong, it should have been (try bzr-dev branch):
>
>    $ bzr diff -r 1100..1101 --diff-options diff -bwcC 5
>
> However, this seems to cause problems:
>
>   bzr: ERROR: u'/usr/src/bzr-source/branch/bzr-dev.my/5' does not exist
>   at /usr/src/build/build/bazaar-ng/bzr-0.0.7/.inst/usr/share/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/branch.py line 120, in find_branch_root()
>   see ~/.bzr.log for debug information
>
> Btw, that u'/usr/src/... path is funny under Cygwin.
>
> Here is another example:
>
>    $ bzr diff -r 1100..1101 --diff-options diff -bwc -C 5
>
>   bzr: ERROR: unknown short option '-C'
>   at /usr/src/build/build/bazaar-ng/bzr-0.0.7/.inst/usr/share/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py line 463, in parse_args()
>   see ~/.bzr.log for debug information
>

> The parsing routine expects only one set of
>
>     -oPTiOnS
>
> but it should be possible to group them any way needed for the
> external process:
>
>     -o -P -TiO -n -S

What happens if you do:

bzr diff --diff-options "-bwc -C 5"

> Looks like bug staring at there :-)

I wouldn't call it a bug as much as parsing consistency. This way, you
can do:
bzr diff --diff-options "-bwc -C 5" -r 1100..1101 myfile

Which will do a diff just on "myfile" with the supplied arguments. (I'm
not saying the above actually works, but it is the format that I would
like to see first).