[BUG] Please explain LOCATION in the pull command

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Sep 13 05:29:27 BST 2005

Jari Aalto wrote:
>     $ bzr help pull
>     usage: pull [LOCATION]
>     Pull any changes from another branch into the current one.
>
> This would need some examples. List what kind of LOCATION URLs are
> accepted. I learned elsewhere that this can be a DIR reference, HTTP
> URL, but are there any other supported schemes, like
> ftp://login:pass@site, likewise sftp ...?
>
> Jari

Currently only http:// and local references are supported. ftp support
in the current framework is possible.
I developed an backend change, which was supposed to make it easier to
install new protocols (and I implemented local filesystem, http, sftp
(crude) and rsync versions).

Currently, a lot of the bzr code can only write to the local filesystem,
and makes assumptions (that os.normpath() works correctly) on files it
is going to write to. So my Transport work only really fixed the read
portion (but left open the ability to create proper write support).

I think it has bit-rotted a little bit, I branched at about revno=900 or
so, and now bzr.dev is on 1197. I've been on vacation, but I'll
hopefully have some time to clean it up for Martin to look at it again.

Martin- Are you still interested in the direction I took, or is
something else bigger? The last roadmap I saw had you wanting to include
my work for bzr 0.0.7, but since it has been released without the
inclusion, I'm not sure where it all stands.