FEATURE REQ: group common commands under 'ls' instead of separate commands

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Sun Sep 11 14:54:55 BST 2005

Jan Hudec wrote:
> No, it's not. Status does *NOT* list files---it summarizes changes! Status on
> a clean checkout always produces an empty output. That's the way it's meant
> and useful. In short, status talks about changes while inventory talks about
> list of files.

The output from status is a list of files, which might be empty. If
status listed anything other than files, then I would agree with you
that it doesn't list files. But anything that it lists is a file. Just
like inventory.

It still seems to me that we have this universe of possible files that
might be queried (those in the working tree and those in the repo).
Different commands list different subsets of those files.

Now, there's still a usability question of whether a given user task is
done frequently enough that it deserves a separate command, even if it
could be handled as an option to a different command. If I understand
correctly, the current default behavior of bzr status is very similar to
what bzr diff --short might do. Conceptually, I believe status and
inventory are twins. But they still might belong apart for pragmatic
reasons. Maybe.

Just because tla treated inventories as something distinct doesn't mean
they really are. I now have some fear that the nature of bzr will change
distinctly as tla folks join the team. One of the things I liked least
about tla was its complexity, and one of the things I really like about
bzr is its simplicity. I hope bzr retains its character.

One last thing: I didn't mean to hijack this thread. The original poster
merely suggested folding the bzr unknowns and similar commands into
other commands. Please don't lose sight of that request in all this
discussion of whether or not some of the "big" commands should be folded
together.

Kevin