Use of bzr in LinuxChix course

Mary Gardiner mary-sounder at puzzling.org
Fri Sep 9 05:19:24 BST 2005

[I'm not subscribed, although I'll do my best to check gmane for
replies, Ccs or off-list replies would be appreciated.]

Hi,

I'm part of the women Linux users group at linuxchix.org. Periodically
we run short 'courses' (series of mailing lists posts) on various
topics, technical and other. (See
http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/ )

As part of a slow moving push towards trying to get more LinuxChix
subscribers involved in open source development, I'm going to run a
course about how collaboration in Free Software projects works. This
will include some social elements, but the second half of it will be on
version control systems and how they're used to collaborate.

Because I'm starting to use bzr myself (I know it's not exactly what
you'd call stable, but I really like its simplicity), I'm intending to
include some bzr examples when I talk about distributed VCSs. It most
likely won't get much more complicated than branching from an upstream
project, making some commits and either merging or making your own
branch available publicly. Even so, I'd appreciate any feedback you have
from whether this is a foolish idea (for example, if the command line
arguments for the tasks named are likely to change much I'd consider it
foolish) or offers of technical review. (It would probably involve
reviewing two long mailing list posts, probably sometime in
mid-October.)

Thanks,

-Mary