bzr overview questions.

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Tue Sep 6 02:08:50 BST 2005

James Blackwell wrote:
> Tags can mean one of two things. The first is the storage of file
> identifiers in files (as bazaar and arch support). The other is a limited
> form of branching.

To most of us (outside the arch world), a tag is really just a way to
get back to a particular set of revisions. That is, when we ship 1.0, we
"tag" it so at any point in the future we can get back there. Any
behavior beyond that is non-essential, but often very useful.

> In the bzr world, users are encouraged to branch early and often, such as:
>
> $ ls project-head
> [ here is my source code]
> $ bzr branch project-head  project-neatfeature
> $ ls project-neatfeature
> [ here is the same source code again. You can work on this an commit to it
> individually, later merging it back to project-head]

Presumably, this would also extend to:

bzr branch project-head project-release-1.0

At which point the project-release-1.0 branch/directory must be backed
up and treated as sacred. Any bugfixes (1.0.1) would probably be
committed to that branch, and afterwards they would be evaluated for
possible merging back into the mainline.

Kevin