Bug: Commit message containing control characters

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 04:54:16 BST 2005

On 05/09/05, Harald Meland <harald.meland at usit.uio.no> wrote:
> > Am I saying anything different? But the context before was about not being
> > able to represent \x01 in XML -- which is possible using &#1;.

I guess we have the option of storing literally "\x01", ie the four
characters BACKSLASH X ZERO ONE, or something along those lines.  It
is a bit like inventing our own syntax.

I really think of the commit message as text, not binary data, and so
not something that should be containing non-whitespace control
characters.

Perhaps we should just do this when taking the commit message in, and
not worry about unescaping, or even squash them to '?' (as Python can
do with unrepresentable characters).  That would at least stop the
exception.

--
Martin