Bazaar-NG documentation

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Fri Sep 2 21:50:17 BST 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 22:48:31 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 9/1/05, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > why can't bzr pull and bzr push try to do the merge job on the fly?
> > svk pull and svk push doesn't care if someone else has commited code.
>
> So what happens if they've committed code to a branch you're trying to
> push to?  (It's been a while since i used svk.)  I can imagine it
> automatically starting a merge in your local directory.  It doesn't
> seem OK to push in an automerge that hasn't been checked by a human.

I fear it is as broken as that. It allows you to do 'svk merge /one/repo
/another/repo' with NO WORKING COPY AT ALL and push/pull are basically just
shorthands for this.

> > I also like the interactive conflict handling, where you will be asked,
> > for review the local diff the remote diff, and open an editor to remove conflicts,
> > or you can choose to just keep the current file or take the remote file.
>
> So when you do a merge command it asks you for each file what to do?
>
> The basic workflow is the same.  I'm less sure whether the tool should
> kind of 'grab hold' of your terminal and make you finish the merge
> then and there; I think it's nice if you can leave a resolution in
> progress for some time, and do things in the order that suits you.

Also it actually feels _wrong_ to me. Say I have merged and it conflicted in
two files. A conflict resolver starts up for the first one and I resolve it.
Then it starts for the other and I find out that I should have resolved it
the other way round...

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>