Errors branching from remote with bzr 0.0.6+20050828-0

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Mon Aug 29 04:35:01 BST 2005

I was experimenting with bzr for the first time in a while, and got an
error trying to do a branch from a remote repo. I had just done an init,
a couple commits, and then rsync'd the entire directory to my web server.

kevins at aria:~/work/SpaceMonkeys$ bzr branch
http://fxa.org/bzr/SpaceMonkeys/official verify
bzr: ERROR: label too long
   at /usr/lib/python2.4/encodings/idna.py line 72, in ToASCII()
   see ~/.bzr.log for debug information

Later, I realized that this happened because my rsync script wasn't
copying the hidden .bzr directory. After I fixed that and re-pushed, the
branch command worked fine.

But before I figured that out, I tried to branch from bzr itself, as
shown in the wiki tutorial, to see if it was a problem with my repo. I
got this error:

kevins at aria:~/work/bzr$ bzr branch http://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/main ./bzr-main
preparing to copy
        bzr: ERROR: 'mbp at sourcefrog.net-20050310033826-e913091c03649b1c'
   at /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/bzrlib/remotebranch.py line 182,
in __getitem__()
   see ~/.bzr.log for debug information

Ah, which I now see is because that directory doesn't exist on
bazaar-ng.org. Perhaps someone could update the tutorial to point to
whichever bzr repo would be most appropriate.

Cheers,

Kevin