Cygwin-bug#20050820T1947: [serious] IndexError list index out of range

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Aug 23 09:45:49 BST 2005

Jari Aalto wrote:
> | > Version: 0.0.6
> | >
> | > I get this error under Cygwin. Please take a look.
> | >
> | > bzr: error: unknown command 'commint'
> |
> | You just misspelled "commit", there are a couple other bugs that make it
> | non-obvious. But that is the root of the problem.
> |
> | (The weird traceback is because on an exception we log the state at the
> | time of the error. I really don't know why that code is failing, since
> | it seems to be giving a line number error.)
>
> I just wanted confirmation that it is normal behavior to get traceback
> even for cases like this. I would have expected simple:
>
>    Unknown command: commint
>
> Thanks,
> Jari

Well, that's what it was trying to do. Usually it adds a bunch of stuff
to ~/.bzr.log for debugging purposes. So that when someone posts a
message saying, "Hey, this is broken", we can have a good traceback of
what went wrong.

What is weird is that the traceback code was trying to read some context
lines, and didn't seem to find them.
I think the code needs a try/catch (or actually better to just check
first, because you don't want to throw another exception, and lose track
of the current one).
But I'm not sure if this is bzr code, or the built-in python libraries.
It certainly should be investigated.