Cheaper branching under consideration?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Aug 22 23:00:09 BST 2005

This might very well have been discussed already. Just thought I'd ask
anyway.

Is cheaper branching, regarding space, being considered?

When I've used CVS I always create a branch tag when making a release
X.Y. If there's a bug in a release I check out the particular version,
make a change, check it in on the branch, tag it as X.Y+1 and then make a
merge between the branch and the main line.

AFAICS this would still be the way to do it in bzr. But there is no
central repo, so I need to keep a directory around with history up to
the revision that is X.Y. However, I don't need all the history in this
dir so why keep it in there?

I've been playing around a bit in a branch of a project removing files.
It all works quite fine, removing files in inventory-store and
text-store. You loose some history (every revision that's removed) so
'bzr log' is "destroyed". Also, since entries in revision-history have
to be removed 'bzr revno' will be "destroyed".

There might be less destructive way of pruning files in a branch, but is
this something that people feel anything for?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
make is so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the
deficiencies.
     -- C. A. R. Hoare