Discussed changes

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 17 20:35:55 BST 2005

Aaron Bentley wrote:

>>>My suggestion is to have BZR_PLUGIN_PATH act more like the real path,
>>>where the first entry found is used, and all others are ignored.

>>>I was realizing that if you use plugins to implement hooks, you might
>>>want multiple levels.
>

> My suggestion above was to support both these goals.
> 1. Having the last command win and doing it in reverse order gives the
> same precedence as having the first command win and doing it in forward
> order.

Except that isn't how most PATH style variables work. I'm okay with your
suggestion, I was just discussing trying to maintain PATH consistencies.

> 2. By registering all commands, not just the first one found, we have
> the opportunity to determine the previously-registered command, so that
> we can wrap it.

Well, you still have to load the plugin, to know what it is doing at the
point of "register_command()". However, I will admit that you can't wrap
system plugins if you load user plugins first.

I'll give on the PATH priority. Load everything, last one loaded wins,
default path is "$BZR/bzrlib/plugins:~/.bzr.conf/plugins"

register_command() overrides previous entry, putting something in the
log rather than issuing a warning.

I don't feel the need to have a 'commands' directory, but I'm okay with
it. I don't think we need it to be scanned, we can just "import
bzrlib.commands" and have the commands/__init__.py code handle loading
and registering all of the appropriate commands. Commands seems more
built-in, so it doesn't need to be as dynamic as plugins. I'm hoping
that can make it faster, but python is pretty dynamic to start with, so
I can't really say.