Surfacing committer and timestamp on commit

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Aug 16 08:07:45 BST 2005

Lele Gaifax wrote:

>     John> At least at present, there is no plan to include them,
>     John> because the goal is to not confuse the user by options that
>     John> they shouldn't generally use.
>
> Uhm, ok.

The idea is to have 1 interface for human interaction (bzr), and another
interface for scripting (bzrlib).

Tla (Arch 1.0) suffered from the fact that it was a pretty good
scripting interface, but a pretty bad user interface. There were too
many commands and too many options, leaving it open for the user to
easily do the wrong thing.

Bazaar-ng is trying to simplify and streamline the user interface,
trying to make options be consistent across commands (so -f *always*
means file, -m always means message, etc).

>     John> If you are looking to do scripting, then the recommended
>     John> method is to use the bzrlib directly, rather than trying to
>     John> go through the 'bzr' front-end.
>
>     John> Is there a specific reason you want the functionality?
>
> For tailor, another tool that migrates between VCs. I'll try to use
> the bzrlib directly.

Since tailor is in python anyway, that's what I would recommend. I'm
guessing another front-end will surface eventually (like bzr-script or
somesuch), if people really feel like it things need to be shell
scripted rather than python scripted. But a couple hours in bash always
reminds me of why I'd rather do it in python :)

> thanx,
> lele.

Good luck, and feel free to post if you find deficiencies, or want some
help figuring out where to look for stuff.