don't invoke editor when not on tty?

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jul 25 22:38:30 BST 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> bzr commit runs an editor if no message is given, which is good - but
> less so when it starts the editor when invoked from the command window
> of emacs or an ide.  So I propose to invoke the editor only when it's
> run from a terminal.  Is that reasonable?

Sounds okay. Except it might be nice to spawn "Notepad" or "gvim" sort
of thing, which means it doesn't matter if you have a tty.

(Though from my experiments of using gvim as my cvs editor, it doesn't
work because gvim seems to detach from the calling process, so it looks
like the editor just returns empty.)

It might make more sense to have a "--no-editor" flag, so that emacs or
some other ide can force the behavior instead.