tla changes vs. baz status

John Whitley whitley at bangpath.org
Tue Jun 21 17:13:48 BST 2005

On Jun 21, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Martin Pool wrote:

> More seriously, the current default is meant to be a tradeoff between
> being machine-parseable and being reasonably understandable.  I used
> to like 'svn status', but I think Aaron's right that having to refer
> to the legend so often shows something is wrong.

Here's a question: why tradeoff at all?  Have "bzr status" default to
a human-readable format that (in principle) may change from release
to release to ease human understanding issues.  Think of its output
like compiler error messages: designed to aid the human user.

Complement that with something like "bzr status --xml" that outputs a
cleanly spec'd machine-readable format.  With XML as the output, no
one will have to mess about reinventing a parser for it in the first
place.  If an XML schema is available, then output from "bzr status --
xml" can be run through a validator as part of the test suite.

-- John