Automatic generation of bzr dailies

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jun 6 15:37:23 BST 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> On  5 Jun 2005, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for pulling it into contrib, but you have the permissions on it
>>set so that it is not world readable. (So it breaks rsync-ing.) A simple
>>chmod should fix it.
>

> Yes, fixed now.
>

>>Speaking of permissions, where would the best place to track them be? In
>>the Inventory-store? It seems to me like the text-store is for the
>>actual data, thus the inventory would be the place for meta-data.
>

> I think they should be stored in the inventory, inside the file's
> entry.  I think on Unix it would be reasonable to just have executable
> files automatically recorded as such.  On win32 I don't see anything
> meaningful to do with it, and I suppose the entries should just stay
> there without being used or updated.  We wouldn't want all files to be
> reset to non-executable if the tree's extracted on a Windows machine.

If I understand correctly you are saying it should be something like:
<inventory>
<entry file_id="" text_sha1="" ...>
	<meta_info></meta_info>
</entry>
</inventory>

Is that correct?
Does cElementTree distinguish between the:
<entry />
And
<entry></entry>
forms?

Does it automatically split an entry if it has child objects? That would
naturally be the easiest way, because the reader can just check for a
child object named "meta_info", or <executable>True</executable>

I would actually like to see bzr adopt what tla-mainline did. Which is
if your tree contains some "track-meta-info" indicator, and your
personal configuration agrees with it, it will keep track of
permissions/owner/etc.

Naturally, I would want to think about it for a while, to figure out
what would be a good schema.

Also, it is obvious that we probably want to always keep track of the
execute bit. But I was wondering if we want to always track all of the
meta-info, and just not use it. I'm thinking permissions are pretty safe
to always keep track of. I probably wouldn't want to track owner/group
unless explicitly requested.

Is that reasonable?