Windows support

Roncaglia Julien bazaar-ng at virtualblackfox.net
Sat Jun 4 18:37:30 BST 2005

> No. uuid as implemented in osutils.py is not portable.  I offered a portable
> replacement a while back but it hasn't made it into bzr, obviously.

???? I'm under win32 and even when i delete the uuid() function from
osutil bzr work well so i think it's never used :

def gen_file_id(name):
    """Return new file id.

    This should probably generate proper UUIDs, but for the moment we
    cope with just randomness because running uuidgen every time is
    slow."""

But uuid() have this comment :

    ## XXX: Could alternatively read /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid on
    ## Linux, but we need something portable for other systems;
    ## preferably an implementation in Python.

That your path seem to correct, i don't known why it hasn't beed merged
but maybe martin think that a simple random string is enough...