Merge eats memory

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue May 31 16:28:09 BST 2005

John A Meinel wrote:

> Well, if I looked at the refs.log file correctly, it looks like you have
> a whole lot of exceptions being generated. They seem to be warnings that
> are caught somewhere, but it seems likely that the exceptions are
> leaking memory.
>
> We should probably look closely at some of the
> bzrlib.inventory.InventoryEntry stuff. But I honestly don't know what
> generated your refs.log file, so my understanding might be very wrong.

Ignore my last email, I just figured out what refs.log was saying, and I
do indeed have it incorrect.

>From this:
> Refs	Class
> 157370	bzrlib.merge.SourceFile
> 157368	bzrlib.inventory.InventoryEntry
> 95615	bzrlib.changeset.ChangesetEntry
> 95614	bzrlib.changeset.ReplaceContents
> 93164	bzrlib.changeset.ChangeUnixPermissions
> 93164	bzrlib.changeset.FileCreate
> 134	bzrlib.commands.Command
> 48	exceptions.Exception
> 34	random.Random
> 27	threading._Verbose

If I understand your finds correctly, you only have:
102243-51127-33751=17365 (17k) source files. Though at one point you
were including the .git and thus had 50k files.

It seems like we are keeping somewhere between 3 - 10 copies of all of
the files. Which does indeed seem a little much.

Do you have this repository somewhere we can get at it. I would be
interested in profiling it a little bit if possible.